The Mississippi Seafood Marketing Program (MSMP) is holding its 4th Annual Mississippi Seafood Cook-Off on Friday, May 31, from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Slavonian Lodge in Gulfport.
I’ve been invited to help judge the competition, so if you come down, please stop by and say hello!
The event is open to the public, with free tickets available to anyone who is interested in attending (email your name, phone number and number of tickets you would like to Brooke at MSMP – Brooke.Goff@dmr.ms.gov)
The four-hour long cooking competition will showcase Mississippi chefs who will each compete for the title of “King” or “Queen” of Mississippi Seafood. Each chef will present his/her unique, signature dish featuring fresh, sustainable Mississippi Gulf Seafood to a panel of local judges. The winning chef will represent Mississippi in the Great American Seafood Cook-Off (GASCO) in New Orleans on August 3, 2013.
The following Mississippi chefs will be submitting dishes using wild-caught Mississippi Seafood:
- Chef Tyler Edwards, Snackbar- Oxford, MS
- Chef Corbin Evans, The Inn at Ole Miss- Oxford, MS
- Chef Ty Thames, Restaurant Tyler- Starkville, MS
- Chef Patrick Heim, Taste! Catering- Biloxi, MS
- Chef Gary Hawkins, Sophia’s Restaurant- Jackson, MS
- Chef David Crews, Six Shooter- Drew, MS
- Chef John Woods, First Choice Catering- Horn Lake, MS
- Chef Reynolds Boykin, Parlor Market- Jackson, MS
- Chef Clayton Barney, Cotton Blues - Hattiesburg, MS
- Chef Jeremy Noffke, Purple Parrot Café- Hattiesburg, MS
- Chef Eric Spencer, Island View Casino- Gulfport, MS
Judges this year will include:
Andy Chapman, Eat Jackson and Eat Y’all
Michael Duncan, Merchants Foodservice
Liz Barrett, Eating Oxford
Lisa Monti, Freelance writer for South MS Living and MS Business Journal
Carrie Duncan, WLOX
Although only the judges will taste competing chefs’ dishes, attendees will have the opportunity to sample seafood prepared by members of the award-winning St. Martin 4-H Culinary Team. All those in attendance will be eligible to vote for their favorite St. Martin 4-H Culinary Team recipe and the most voted for dish will be crowned “People’s Choice.”